Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hispanic American Civil Rights Post # 2

Obama Speech on Hispanic Americans in The United States

 “I also know that these past few days have not only been a time of prayer and a time of reflection for all of you. They’ve also been a time to lend your voices to the causes that you’re passionate about. And I want you to know that I’m listening. When you lend your voice to the cause of creating jobs and opening opportunity for all communities, I hear you. When you lend your voice to the cause of educating all of our children, not just some, to succeed in the 21st century, I’m listening. And when you lend your voice to the cause of immigration reform, I am listening.

As some of you probably heard, I flew down to El Paso a couple of days ago to give a speech on this topic. And what I said in that speech was that we define ourselves as a nation of immigrants, as a nation that’s open to anyone who’s willing to embrace America’s precepts and America’s ideals. That’s why so many men and women have braved hardship and great risk to come here, picking up and leaving behind the world that they knew, carrying nothing but the hope that here in America, their children might live a better life.

Our heritage as a nation of immigrants is part of what has always made America strong. Out of many, one -- that is our creed. And we are also a nation of laws. A nation of immigrants and a nation of laws. And what I went down to El Paso to say is that we are enforcing our laws and we’re securing our borders. In fact, we have more manpower down at the Southwest border than at any time in our history.”

One thing that I liked about this speech is that President Obama mentioned how immigrants left their lives back where they lived in hope of their kids having a better life. I liked this part in the whole speech because I can relate to it. When I was 4 years old, my parents moved my whole family from Peru to the United States in hope of my brother and I to have a better life. In many cases lives for other immigrants didn’t turn out to well for them and their families (many got deported back to their homeland); but our lives turned out very well. This is what I liked about Obama’s speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment