Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hispanic American Civil Rights Post # 5

Stereotyping

Stereotyping is a serious issue in the world. The definition of stereotyping is a  simple generalization of a group that is often inaccurate and allows others to treat members of that group based on that generalization. The general effect of stereotyping is that the people that are being stereotyped can get offended and emotionally hurt. I believe that stereotyping is another form of bullying and should be taken care of. This affects Hispanic Americans because it makes their lives even harder to fit into society. I say this because if people are stereotyping them, they won’t feel like they’re American. I think everyone can connect to stereotyping. One connection that I read about is in the book Return to Sender in this book kids at school made fun of a Mexican American girl by calling her an illegal alien. This connects to stereotyping because the kids are practically saying that all Hispanics are illegal.

No comments:

Post a Comment